Something in the air on Long Beach Island makes you want to breathe deeper and slower. It makes you want to relax your mind while keeping your body active. There’s no shortage of LBI environments and diet-friendly dining to support a healthy lifestyle, for both locals and visitors. Here are a few tips to keep your health on Long Beach Island.
Keep Your Health on Long Beach Island
Long Beach Island is an ideal place to get healthy and stay fit. The beaches and beautiful weather naturally motivate people to go out in the fresh air. The beautiful surroundings make for interesting places to hike and swim. There is no better place to get a healthy dose of exercise- not on a treadmill or in a gym- but out in the sunshine, surrounded by bodies of salt water and an invigorating breeze.
Whether you live in LBI all year, or just visit for the summer, it’s easy to find ways to do the body good. Get exercise, eat wholesome foods, and take in lots of fresh air and sunshine. You’ll be feeling great and looking your best with just a little bit of effort and planning.
Here are 4 great ways to exercise on Long Beach Island:
- Practice Yoga
There are yoga studios up and down Long Beach Island.
- Yoga Bohemia in Beach Haven is at the south end of LBI. During the warmer summer months, Yoga Bohemia offers stand up paddle (SUP) yoga, a great workout for yogis looking for a little more of a challenge. At Yoga Bohemia, you can find classes at all levels, including a kids’ yoga program.
- Yoga 9 is in Ship Bottom, Long Beach Island. It’s centrally located, close to where the causeway bridge drops you off. At Yoga 9, they go beyond just the in-studio classes. They offer Reiki, a Japanese method for stress reduction and relaxation, massage, and organic skin services, including facials.
- Liquid Bliss Yoga Studio is located on the north side in Harvey Cedars. At Liquid Bliss Yoga Studio, the focus is more on the environment, where you can “inhale salt, exhale your cares.” Here you can find in-studio yoga, beach yoga, and SUP yoga.
- Take a Bike Ride
Long Beach Island is a bike lover’s paradise! The roads are safely equipped with bike lanes in nearly every town. Bicycling is convenient even if you’re visiting since there are bike rental shops in the southern and northern ends of LBI. Farias’ Surf and Sport serves Surf City, Ship Bottom, and Beach Haven. Acme Beach and Bike has locations throughout Long Beach Township and Beach Haven Gardens.
- Go for a Run
Bikers aren’t the only ones using the bike lanes on Long Beach Island. Every morning, runners of all levels and distances hit the pavement. Some are training for the 18 Mile Run, Long Beach Island’s fall race that starts in Holgate and ends at the north end of Barnegat Lighthouse. On a summer Saturday, it’s best to rise early, watch the sun come up over the dunes, and beat the crowds by getting those runs in early. For runners with little ones, there’s no need to put your training on hold while visiting Long Beach Island. You can rent a jogging stroller from several of the bike rental shops like Acme Beach and Bike, and take your kiddies with you.
- Get out on the Water
Develop a new hobby with water sports that will work and tone a whole new group of muscles. SUP boards, kayaks, and surfboards are a great way to get out and see the amazing waters around Long Beach Island. Acme Bike and Beach offers kayaks and SUP rentals right on the bay at Bayview Park in Brant Beach. This is a convenient way to get right into the water without having to break a sweat carrying your board or kayak to the bay!
Best Places to Eat Healthy on Long Beach Island
There is a reason that New Jersey is called the “Garden State,” and with the addition of fresh seafood, Long Beach Island is an amazing place to find fresh, healthy foods.
Here are some of LBI’s best places to eat healthy:
- Go for Vegan: Living on the Veg is an amazing place to grab some great healthy food, including appetizers, salads, wraps, and an extensive menu full of all vegan options. This small restaurant is a gem but they only accept cash, so come prepared!
- Find Healthy Options: Pearl Street Market and Carmen’s, both located in Beach Haven, have healthy “to go” items, so you can take your meals with you, beach front or bay side. There are even some Long Beach Island restaurants that serve yummy gluten-free dishes, like Tuckers Tavern.
- Make Your Own: If you want to do your own meal prep at your home away from home, you can visit Murphy’s Supermarket in Beach Haven to pick up ingredients (they have an amazing seafood selection!). You’ll also find fresh ingredients at Foster’s Farm Market in Beach Haven or Country Corner Market in Ship Bottom, both great places to grab fruits and veggies, farmer’s market style. This is just another way of living like a local while on LBI.
Give your Mind and Soul a Break
When you visit Long Beach Island, nothing is better than getting solid rest and deep relaxation. The sound of waves hitting the shore is the ultimate lullaby. Whether it’s a catnap on a quiet beach or a great night’s sleep in a comfortable and clean hotel, turning off the alarm clocks and letting go is exactly what vacation should be like.
Find a quiet place to relax on Long Beach Island
Summer months draw record crowds to the Long Beach Island beaches, but some of LBI’s quietest beaches are on the Northern End of the Island. If you’re looking to take a little break from the beach, paddling out on a kayak or SUP away from the crowds is a great way to find peace and quiet and enjoy nature.
Make your comfort a priority
Relax and find peace in a comfortable bed, with an open window, and listen to the sound of the ocean waves. Get the best sleep you’ve ever had at an LBI oceanfront hotel. You’re used to making sacrifices in your daily life, especially for your family and your job, but your Long Beach Island vacation is not the time or the place for that. Put yourself first and make comfort a priority.
Long Beach Island is a Health Nut’s Paradise
There are plenty of opportunities to stay fit and healthy on your Long Beach Island vacation. Stay on track with healthy dining and spend time outside keeping active. You’ll feel better when it’s time to return to your normal routine at home. Get healthy and happy anytime you visit Long Beach Island, NJ!